26.5.14

Teaching Reading and 1984


We are approaching the end of out first year of SLA Beeber’s existence. Currently, we are reading 1984 by George Orwell. During my spring break, I read 1984 for the first time and was blown away. This is Orwell’s social manifesto, his critical statement on how the history of the world could turn if we are not careful. I enjoyed the book, but as I was reading it, I realized that many of the connections that I was making to it came from my knowledge and learning experiences around politics and society, which I know I did not have as high school student. Therefore, how to engage 15-16 year old freshmen in a book like this in May, I realized, was going to be a challenging task. This is an essential question posed to every teacher as he or she writes his or her curriculum. It is an art to design learning experiences that are engaging not for us, but for students sitting in out classroom who have to be there at a particular time. This of course, is very different from the natural process of reading in my everyday life whereby I pick up a book, read at my own pace, and have occasional discussions about the book with my friends, family, and colleagues. I need to be thinking from the perspective of my students.

Pedagogical Decisions:

One of the crucial pedagogical decisions I made was to allow my students to read the book at their own pace. We had four weeks left in the school year, and I felt strongly that if I plopped 1984 in front of them and insisted that they read 75 pages per week, then I would effectively be sending the majority of my students to sparknotes to read summaries and analyses to participate in classroom discussions and complete the projects and assignments related to the book. In class, therefore, I was explicit about the type of reading experience that I wanted them to have with the book. I explicitly stated that school in general, and English teachers in particular, often turn students off from reading, rather than offering experiences would encourage them to enjoy books and become lifelong readers. I told them that by giving them the opportunity to read at their own pace, I was encouraging them to enjoy reading the book, instead of having an “anxiety-induced reading experience,” and to practice the reading skills that I have emphasized this year: 1) that reading is a thinking process of inquiry, inferences, and reflection 2) that good readers re-read when they do not comprehend (they see it as their responsibility for understanding the text). I told them that I did not want them flocking to sparknotes to make meaning of the text, unless they were totally lost and needed the assistance. This gave students the space to focus on re-reading, rather than feeling the pressure to plow through the text. I believe that re-reading and focusing on self-monitoring of their comprehension is an authentic reading skill that they will hopefully take with them from this class and this unit in particular.

Student Response:

One student read the entire book in the first weekend. This student is already a voracious and inquisitive reader, so I feel strongly that I set her up to knock it out of the park, in terms of reading and enjoying the book. If I had required everyone to read the first 75 pages in the first week, would she have still read the entire book? Or, would she have just read the book as an assignment to meet the expectations of the school task?

Another student came to me and said that she read the first 23 pages twice and still did not understand what was going on. I was proud of this because it showed that she was self-monitoring and using the reading skills we had talked about this year, which emphasized comprehension. She still needed assistance with decoding the book and connecting to it.

Many other students are reading the book as varying levels of engagement. Some students are struggling with the book and find it boring. Some students say the book it “popping,” which is a positive review. I class, a student asked, “How do I read a book that I don’t like?” I was initially taken aback by the question. It is a good question because there are times in the academic and professional world where we are expected to read things that we may not initially find enjoyable. My response was that you need to find a way to enjoy what you are reading. I read quickest and with the highest level of comprehension when I enjoy what I am reading.

However, this still does not answer her question because now we need to figure out how do we psyche ourselves into enjoying something that we do not initially enjoy? I ultimately realized that we tend to enjoy reading things that we can connect to or of which we see the broader relevance to society and world events. Therefore, the essential task is around always assuming that there is social value and personal lessons in nearly all literature and art, and being patient enough and alert enough to find the ways in which I can relate to what I am reading or see the ways in which the book relates to broader events and experiences of the world.

Therefore, if we can approach everything that we read and seek to learn about with a degree of intellectual curiosity and wonder, we are more likely to enjoy and comprehend what we are reading.

Still Wondering:

I am still wondering about the rigor and expectations of this pedagogical decision. Is there value in the “higher” expectation that students read 75 pages per week? Am I lowering my standard by allowing students to reading at their own pace?